Flea pest control, Geelong
Flea infestations can be both an irritant and a potential health risk, both to your pets and your family. As a result, it is a good idea to get rid of them as quickly as possible. Fleas cause a great deal of annoyance and discomfort for our pets, and their feeding behaviour has several impacts on the health of us and our pets such as:
- Causing allergic reactions and skin conditions such as mange and dermatitis in dogs and cats
- Severe infestations on your pet can lead to hair loss and anemia
- Transmitting cat and dog tapeworm
- Readily feeding on humans, causing itchy red welts and discomfort
- Allergic reactions to the saliva of fleas in some humans and animals.
If you have pets, we advise that you treat them with an effective flea treatment from your vet. Make sure you keep up-to-date with flea treatment for all your pets throughout the year. Although less troublesome in the winter months, fleas are still active all year round. Pet beds and blankets should be thoroughly washed and disinfected. Another important fact to remember is that the life cycle of a flea can last as long as two years or as short as a few weeks, making it critical that you are proactive about pest control for flea control even if you don’t have fleas jumping around your house or living on your pets.
Fleas usually live on an animal’s underbelly, so they can be easily transferred to your carpet or furnishings when your pet lies down. As fleas live and breed best in warm, moist places, infestations are generally worse in the summertime.
Signs of a flea infestation and your need for a flea exterminator include:
- Seeing fleas jump onto your curtains, carpet or furniture
- Seeing several dot-like insects on your pet’s fur
- Your pets are scratching, linking or biting their fur excessively
- Finding flea faeces on your pet’s bedding or wherever else they rest – flea poo is black in colour and resembles black pepper or specks of dirt.
If you’ve noticed any of the above signs, contact us at Geelong, Bellarine and Surfcoast Pest Control and let us rid your home of these pesky pests in your house and garden. Our pest control for fleas involves fast-acting control agents to kill adult fleas, and insect growth regulators which interfere with the moulting process in larval fleas, preventing them from reaching adulthood.
Geelong, Bellarine and Surfcoast Pest Control don’t just carry out flea extermination. We offer a full range of pest control services including spiders, ants, bees, termites and more and use only the most environmentally-friendly products available on the market today from leading manufacturers such as Bayer, Exterra and FMC.